Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Leaving Casablanca

I failed to write about Rick’s Café and leaving Casablanca, so I will add a little supplement now. Rick’s was everything that we had hoped for. The décor was as true to the film as we could hope, and we found out that it was built by many actors in Hollywood giving a small amount so that a Rick’s Café could exist.
Getting out of Morocco was quite an adventure. We were on time getting a taxi to take us to the train station, which would then send us to the airport. It became obvious to us that the driver did not speak English, nor did he understand at all what we were trying to say. The map we showed him probably would have helped, but he must not have been looking closely. Instead of dropping us at the train station, he had us get out by the “Twin” building. Similar sounding, yet very different In meaning, right?


At that point, we asked a security guard what the best idea would be to get the airport. He said to hail a petit taxi and it would bring us there. It did not. Instead the man tried to leave us at an airport that was no longer in operation. Now I realize that things are different in Morocco, but I am still confused about why he would bring us there knowing that we were taking a plane home.

I don’t wear a watch. It’s never been my thing. I had looked at Chris’ watch, not realizing that it was on Madrid time, an hour later. When we finally got the situation straightened out, I thought that we were flying out in twenty minutes rather than in an hour and twenty minutes. I had almost begun to spaz on the outside, much like my brain was on the inside, but not quite. I am usually pretty go with the flow when it comes to these things, but this was even close for me. We reached the airport in the nick of time and made our flight to Madrid. For a minute there, it really felt like we were all those poor people stuck from the movie in Casablanca, unable to go home, or anywhere else. Whew. Thank God for His mercy.


We also feel that it is important to note that while Royal Air Maroc is the WORST airline we have ever dealt with, they have the best food. It’s up to you, I guess. If you’re willing to lose your luggage for a week, the quiche and yogurt can’t be beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment